Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: AG dolls used as therapy

  1. #1
    Inactive Member rafferty's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, I am new to the board, & after reading quite a few posts, I think this may be something you all would like to hear about. My DD is almost 9 & on the Autism spectrum. She is high functioning, & in class with typical kids for most of her day at school, etc. Her major problems are in the "social" side of life, like most of the kids on the spectrum. While we have been fortunate that she has always had an interest in "typical" toys, NOTHING has helped her fit in like her AG collection. She has been collecting since she was 2, so we have quite a collection now. We started to realize in pre-school that she was able to tell us about her day through "acting" out situations with her dolls. She could not TELL me she had a bad day, but the dolls would show me through her acting. She had teacher & friend named dolls, we even made a "classroom" for them, etc. As she has gotten older, they have also helped her "fit in" with typical friends coming over. She now has several dolls that look like her friends at school. AG15 is her friend Amanda & they have MANY adventures. The girls who have a doll named after them are very honored as well, so it is a win win situation. The teaching staff & private speech/OT people could not believe the progress we made with this. Since she just finished 3rd grade, & is involved in GS, horeback riding & going in a million different directions, we don't do these "floor time" plays quite as often, but I know that these dolls & the time we played with them during her younger years will have a lasting impact on her social development. If anyone out there would like to hear about the method we used etc. please let me know, I would be happy to direct them to differnt books, etc.
    NOW...if they only had a doll that looked like my DD, THAT would be WONDERFUL! :-)

  2. #2
    Inactive Member lscogbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    713
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That is truly an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing - you obviously have a very wonderful DD and it's great that she has found a way to communicate and connect with you.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member AGTeacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What a wonderful story about your daughter. I am so glad how AG has influenced her life. You should write to American Girl this story. I also use the dolls with students, some of my readers read to the doll instead to me when I exam them with their reading skills. I am now going to expand my dolls in education with girls as I am doing a brand new program with Girl Scouts.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What a wonderful story! I'm so glad the dolls have helped your daughter. Before I read your post, I was grousing to myself about the "historical" outfits of today, deciding I really don't want to buy them. After I read what you wrote, I felt ashamed of myself for being such a grump and for missing what's really important. Thanks for a very timely reminder.

  5. #5
    *Marisol_Grace_Girl*
    Guest *Marisol_Grace_Girl*'s Avatar
    Wow- maybe american girl dolls are therapeutic! I am amazed at your story. I am surprised! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member rothsix's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 14th, 2004
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HEllo: I also have a daughter on the spectrum (PDD-NOS)> A long time ago, I shared a similar story on this board. AG has REALLY helped our dauhter to develop appropriate social skills! I even contacted AG and told them about it!

    Gret

  7. #7
    Inactive Member rafferty's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi again eveyone! Ria, I think it is so cool you are doing somthing with the dolls & GS. My daughter has really enjoyed your albums with the cute stories, so we need to hear all about the GS plan you have sometime!

    Gret, that is neat the dolls were able to help your daughter too! We did contact Pleasant company about all of this right before they were purchased by Mattel. We actually won a trip to AG Place Chicago, & met the most wonderful PS. She & my DD really hit it off. That was so great because as you probably know, this isn't always the case when people first meet these kids. Anyway, this woman would call us whenever ther were sales, new items, etc. She asked me to write a note for her to give the powers that be. She wanted to be able to hand it to them when they came to visit. We got the most wonderful note back from them on this subject, as well as some VERY cool goodies. They even sent 2 dolls to my private speech/OT for them to use with other children. Ironically too, my daughter wrote them a note at the same time stating a few items she would like to have them make, & ALL of them but a doll looking exactly like her have been made. Obviously, she isn't the only one who must have requested these items, but at least she had a "vote" in. She did request a doll with blonde hair long/straight at the top with curls at the bottom, blue eyes & freckles...if only AG24 had blue eyes, THEN we would have a doll simular to my DD. I guess I can always hope that someday it will happen! :-)

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner Kaileyfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow what a great story, I am glad American Girl has helped your daughter develop skills. What American Girl of Today do you think your daughter looks similar to. The way you said you wished a doll looked like your daughter, means you do not think any of them looks like her. Their must me one doll that looks similar to her. I looks similar to the doll with Light Brown hair, Blue eyes.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member rafferty's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, She would look close to GT24 if her hair was a little darker, & she had blue eyes...Maybe someday!

    Shelly

  10. #10
    Inactive Member rafferty's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, She would look close to GT24 if her hair was a little darker, & she had blue eyes...Maybe someday!

    Shelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •